Kabila rejects criticism of DRC polls
Kinshasa - Democratic Republic of Congo's President Joseph Kabila conceded on Monday there had been "mistakes" in the election process but rejected the finding of the Carter Centre international observer group that the results lacked credibility.
Provisional results released last Friday showed Kabila had won re-election in the second vote since Congo's 1998-2003 war, but the outcome was immediately rejected as fraudulent by his main challenger, Etienne Tshisekedi.
Citing "impossibly high" turnout in Kabila strongholds and uncounted ballots in opposition bastions, the US-based Carter Centre on Saturday cast doubt on the reliability of the results.
"The credibility of these elections cannot be put in doubt. Were there mistakes? Definitely, but (the Carter Centre) has definitely gone far beyond what was expected," Kabila told a news conference in Kinshasa.
He pointed to his own disappointing scores in the eastern provinces of North and South Kivu as proof that the election process had been transparent and said Tshisekedi's self-declaration as poll winner was not a surprise.
"Am I uncomfortable with the results? Definitely not ... We wanted to score better in some provinces, especially in North and South Kivu. So we lost some and we won some," he said.
"We don't have a crisis in this country ... We're going to stay calm and continue with the day-to-day activities of the state," he said, reaffirming his confidence that the economy will see double-digit growth in the next two to three years.