Kenya launches giant port construction with $480m deal

2014-08-01 22:16

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta launched on Friday a construction deal for the first berths in a proposed multi-billion dollar port, the day after ordering vast tracts of "stolen" land be repossessed.

The planned $24bn Lamu port project, due to be finished by 2030, is intended to serve much of east Africa, with oil pipelines to South Sudan and railways to Ethiopia and Uganda from the Indian Ocean coast.

But the area has been hit by a recent wave of deadly attacks, largely claimed by Somalia's al-Qaeda-linked Shabaab militants but which Kenyatta has blamed on "local political networks".

On Thursday, Kenyatta said the massacres had been fuelled by companies seizing land covering a vast coastal zone nearly the size of Luxembourg "under dubious and corrupt circumstances".

The land, stretching over 2 000km² was taken by 22 companies between 2011 and 2012, he said, ordering it to be repossessed.

"This criminal conspiracy has dispossessed individuals and families living in this region of their land and opportunities for improving their well being," Kenyatta added.

"It has also helped fuel the current insecurity being experienced in the region, and frustrated our efforts in building cohesion in the country."

On Friday, the president said he had approved a $480m deal with a Chinese company for the first phase of construction of three of the 32 berths planned for the flagship project.

"The signing of this contract... is a major milestone," Kenyatta said in a statement, claiming it would make Kenya the "most attractive transport and logistics hub" in the region.

The project, known as LAPSSET - the Lamu Port South Sudan-Ethiopia Transport Corridor - includes not only a giant seaport to complement Kenya's hugely overstretched main port in Mombasa, but also a railway and refinery project.

Kenya has set aside $50m "to immediately commence" building by state-run China Communication Construction Company, Kenyatta said.

Officials said construction at the port - which has seen little activity since it was formally launched in a ceremony in March 2012 - would begin as soon as September.

Read more on:    lapsset  |  uhuru kenyatta  |  kenya  |  china  |  east africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.