Kenya refuses to give up Kenyatta records

2013-12-03 07:18
Uhuru Kenyatta. (AFP)

Uhuru Kenyatta. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Hague - The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor on Monday accused Kenya of failing to hand over records which she said were "relevant to critical issues" in President Uhuru Kenyatta's crimes against humanity trial.

"The Office of the Prosecutor requests the Chamber to find that the Government of Kenya has failed to comply with the April 2012 request to provide financial and other records of the accused," Fatou Bensouda said in papers filed before the Hague-based court.

"All of its previous attempts to secure the records have been exhausted," she added.

Kenya's leader is set to go on trial on 5 February on charges of masterminding some of the deadly 2007-8 post-election violence that killed over 1 000 people and left several hundred thousand others displaced in the east African country.

Bensouda said prosecutors believed the documents "may shed light on the scope of the accused's conduct, including the allegation that he financed the crimes with which he is charged."

"For 19 months the OTP's repeated requests have been met with obfuscation and intransigence," Bensouda added, asking judges to now refer the matter to the court's oversight and legislative body, the Assembly of States Parties.

The move is the latest in a legal tug-of-war between the ICC and Kenya, which wants immunity from prosecution for sitting heads of state under the court's founding Rome Statute.

ICC warned

Last week the east African powerhouse warned that putting Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto on trial in The Hague could compromise security in the often volatile region.

Ruto's trial began on 10 September.

Both men have pledged their co-operation with the ICC, but both have also complained that the cases, which they are obliged to attend in the Netherlands, were hampering their running of the country.

Earlier this month, the UN Security Council rejected a draft resolution backed by African countries to suspend Kenyatta and Ruto's trials for a year.

African leaders frequently complain that the ICC discriminates against their continent.

The ICC has opened eight investigations since it was set up in 2003, all of them in Africa.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.