Kenyans say they control mall, attackers say no

2013-09-24 18:29

(AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - Islamic militants who staged a deadly attack on a Kenya mall said on Tuesday hostages are alive and their fighters are "still holding their ground," contradicting Kenyan officials' claims that they are in a final push.

Explosions rang from the mall in the morning and at midday, and gunfire could also be heard, despite the Kenyan government assurances of success. Fresh smoke was seen rising from the upscale Westgate Mall in Nairobi.

As the crisis continued, Nairobi's city morgue braced for the arrival of a large number of bodies of people killed, an official said.

Earlier, the Kenyan Red Cross confirmed at least 62 people had been killed, but spokesperson Abbas Gullet said it was still not known how many more may be dead inside the building.

"It is certainly known that there are more casualties," he said.

A government official told The Associated Press that the morgue was preparing for up to an additional 60 bodies, though the official didn't know an exact count.

The government official insisted on anonymity so he would not face retribution from government officials.

On the fourth day of fighting at the Westgate mall, three Kenyan soldiers died and eight others were receiving treatment, the Kenyan Interior Ministry said on Tuesday.

A soldier emerging from the mall told the AP "we are finished", but then conceded that government forces were still trying to secure the entire interior.

He said troops were checking for explosives, and to see if they could find any survivors in certain areas including the mall's movie theatre and casino.

He spoke on condition of anonymity because he said he was under orders not to speak to media.

Conflicting accounts

The al-Qaeda-linked attackers gave a conflicting account of the mall conflict, using social media.

"There are countless number of dead bodies still scattered inside the mall, and the mujahideen are still holding their ground," said the Somali rebel group al-Shabaab in a Twitter message considered to be genuine.

It added that the hostages are "still alive looking quite disconcerted but, nevertheless, alive."

But Kenyan police urged people to ignore "enemy... propaganda" and assured that the defence forces were continuing to "neutralise" the terrorist threat.

"Troops now in mop up operations in the building, " the police said on Twitter.

A US Embassy vehicle, identifiable by its numbered diplomatic licence plate, arrived at the morgue on Tuesday.

American officials have not confirmed the deaths of any US citizens in the mall attack, but it appeared possible the Americans who visited the morgue - likely security officials with an agency like the FBI - could have been seeking information about one of the bodies inside.

Al-Shabaab, whose name means "The Youth" in Arabic, said the mall attack was in retribution for Kenyan forces' 2011 push into neighbouring Somalia. African Union forces pushed the al-Qaeda-affiliated group out of Somalia's capital in 2011.

"You could have avoided all this and lived your lives with relative safety," the group Tweeted on Tuesday. "Remove your forces from our country and peace will come."

'Multinational collection'

While the government announced on Sunday that "most" hostages had been released, a security expert with contacts inside the mall said at least 10 were still being held by a band of attackers described as "a multinational collection from all over the world".

Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed said "two or three Americans" and "one Brit" were among those who attacked the mall.

She said in an interview with the PBS NewsHour program that the Americans were 18 to 19 years old, of Somali or Arab origin and lived "in Minnesota and one other place" in the US.

The attacker from Britain was a woman who has "done this many times before", Mohamed said.

US officials said they were looking into whether any Americans were involved. State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said on Monday that the department had "no definitive evidence of the nationalities or the identities" of the attackers.

Britain's foreign office said it was aware of the foreign minister's remarks, but would not confirm if a British woman was involved.

But al-Shabaab, responding to a request from AP, denied that any women had attacked the mall.

"We have an adequate number of young men who fully committed and ready to sacrifice their lives for the sake of Allah and for the sake of their religion, so there is no need for us to employ our sisters in the battlefield and thereby expose them to unnecessary risk."

"So these are just baseless rumours that have no substance," said the al-Shabaab press office in what is thought to be an authentic email address.

Three attackers were killed in the fighting on Monday, Kenyan authorities said, and more than 10 suspects arrested.

Al-Shabaab spokesperson Sheik Ali Mohamud Rage said in an audio recording posted on a militant website that the attackers had been ordered to "take punitive action against the hostages" if force was used to try to rescue them.

A Western security official in Nairobi who insisted on not being named to share information about the rescue operation said the only reason the siege hadn't yet ended would be because hostages were still inside.

Westgate mall, a vast complex with multiple banks that have secure vaults and bulletproof glass partitions, as well as a casino, is difficult to completely secure, the official said.

"They are not made for storming," he said of the labyrinth of shops, restaurants and offices. "They're made to be unstormable."

The attack began on Saturday when some 12 to 15 al-Shabaab militants invaded the mall, wielding grenades and firing on civilians inside the complex, which includes shops for Nike, Adidas and Bose and is popular with foreigners and wealthy Kenyans.

The militants specifically targeted non-Muslims, and at least 18 foreigners were among the dead, including six Britons, as well as citizens from France, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia, Peru, India, Ghana, South Africa and China. Nearly 200 people were wounded, including five Americans.

The attack at the Westgate mall in Nairobi's Westlands neighbourhood was the deadliest terrorist attack in Kenya since the 1998 al-Qaeda truck bombing of the US Embassy in Nairobi, which killed more than 200 people.

Read more on:    al-shabaab  |  al-qaeda  |  kenya  |  kenya mall attack  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
23 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/World

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.