News24

Libya identifies 50 involved in US attack

2012-09-15 17:03

Tripoli - Libyan authorities have identified 50 people who were involved in the attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi in which the ambassador and three other Americans were killed, a security official said on Saturday.

US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three others died when gunmen attacked the consulate and a safe house refuge in the eastern city on Tuesday night. The attackers were part of a crowd blaming America for a film they said insulted the Prophet Muhammad.

So far four people have been arrested and are being questioned, Libyan officials have said.

"We know of 50 people who were involved in the attack, we have names and we know who they are, but there could be more," Abdel-Monem Al-Hurr, spokesperson for Libya's Supreme Security Committee, said.

"Four have been arrested. Some of the others may have escaped via Benghazi airport, maybe to Egypt, but this not confirmed. We have given their names to all of the Libyan border entry points."

A spokesperson for President Barack Obama said on Friday officials had no evidence the attack was pre-planned, an assertion which has added to confusion over the incident.

Immediately after the attack, US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, were quoted widely in the media saying they believed the attack was well-planned and organised.

Comments
  • morgaenart.farto - 2012-09-15 17:18

    With a president by the name of Barack Hussein Osama, are we surprised at the mess the US finds itself in? I wonder how many White-Guilt votes he will garner again in November

      fred.fraser.12 - 2012-09-15 17:25

      What are you getting at?

      Madhi - 2012-09-15 19:34

      @fart u have just done that, farting, true to ur name.

  • pages:
  • 1