Libya peace talks resume in Geneva

2015-09-03 22:04
United Nations headquarters in Geneva. (Richard Juilliart, AFP)

United Nations headquarters in Geneva. (Richard Juilliart, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Geneva - The United Nations said a new round of talks aimed at ending more than a year of violence and political chaos in Libya opened in Geneva on Thursday.

"The Libyan political dialogue round commenced at the United Nations Office at Geneva," it said in a statement.

"All parties invited to the meetings have confirmed their attendance."

It said the UN special envoy for Libya, Bernardino Leon, "is holding a number of meetings with the parties on Thursday and Friday".

Libya has two rival parliaments and governments and has been torn apart since the international community helped to oust dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

The one in Tripoli, the General National Congress, is controlled by Islamist-backed Libya Dawn forces, and the internationally recognised government operates out of Tobruk, in the far east of the country.

The September 3-4 talks in Geneva are the latest round in long-running peace negotiations between the North African country's rival factions.

The United Nations has been brokering talks aimed at establishing a unified government.

The factions agreed in January to set up a unity government to restore the stability shattered since the 2011 revolution, but negotiations on details and over posts ran into hurdles.

Hopes high

Leon is to meet representatives of the Tobruk-based parliament, one of the representatives, Taher Mohamed El-Sonni, told AFP.

Members of the GNC, which decided on Wednesday to participate after boycotting the round last month in Morocco, were also expected.

The UN had hoped that the talks would lead to an agreement being signed by September 20, with its implementation to start around October 20.

The agreement, so far rejected by the GNC, aims to form a national unity government for a two-year transition period to end with parliamentary elections.

The internationally recognised parliament on Tuesday adopted a list of candidates for the new administration, the press agency loyal to it reported Wednesday.

The 12 candidates include one woman and former foreign minister Abdulrahman Shalgham, it said.

Read more on:    un  |  gnc  |  libya  |  north africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.