News24

Libyan general's convoy attacked

2012-07-30 07:41

Tripoli - A Libyan militia commander says a convoy carrying a top Libyan military commander has come under fire in the eastern city of Benghazi.

Abdel-Basit Haroun, a Benghazi militia commander, says that General Khalifa Hifter came under attack on Sunday by unknown assailants. He was not hurt. The interim ruling council assigned him to form a national army.

Benghazi and the eastern region of Libya have seen a surge in assassination attempts against former military and security officials. Haroun says 13 were killed over the past month.

On Saturday night, former military intelligence chief Colonel Suleiman Bouzz-Redah was killed while on his way to a mosque in Benghazi. He left the regime of Muammar Gaddafi and joined the rebels who overthrew the long-time ruler in a civil war last year.

Comments
  • danmotaung - 2012-07-30 09:52

    How ironic that the democratic Libya is seeing assassinations after the new leadership held elections. Time will tell whether these gun-totting lots will ever find peace.

      AnthonyfromAfrica - 2012-07-30 17:59

      Twenty years after our first democratic elections, we still got political murders here, especially in KZN. At the same time we live here pretty peacefull, and so will the Libyans !!!!

  • pages:
  • 1