News24

Libya's current government to stay on

2012-04-29 22:17

Tripoli - The head of Libya's National Transitional Council said on Sunday that the interim government would stay in place, notably to ensure the success of June elections for a constituent assembly.

NTC chief Mustafa Abdel Jalil told reporters: "Because of concerns about stability and building the state during this delicate stage... and to guarantee the success of the election... the council has decided to keep on the interim government."

The fate of the country's interim government was decided at a high level meeting less than two months before the first national elections since the fall last year of Muammar Gaddafi's regime.

Abdel Jalil's declaration smashed widespread expectations that there would be a cabinet reshuffle or even a government change after days of public barbs between the two branches of government.

Several NTC members had publicly attacked interim Prime Minister Abdel Rahim al-Kib and threatened a no confidence vote, particularly criticising his government for carrying out slow reforms.

Abdel Jalil, who read a statement after the meeting, said the government should "focus its efforts on several points during this difficult period."

He listed areas such as decentralisation of power, restoring security and the authority of the state; collecting weapons and boosting border security.

Kib's government must reward former rebels and those wounded in the conflict with Gaddafi last year while "preserving public funds," he said.

It is also tasked with reviewing diplomatic representations abroad; protecting overseas Libyan investments and prosecuting leaders of the former regime.