News24

Measles kills 166 in Malawi

2010-07-21 21:48

Blantyre - An outbreak of measles has killed 166 people in Malawi since January, a senior health official told AFP on Wednesday, calling it the worst outbreak in a decade.

"Our records show this is the highest number of people to have died from the disease in the past 10 years," said Storn Kabuluzi, the government's director of preventive health.

He said 52 000 people had caught measles over the past six months in the nation of 13 million.

Kabuluzi said a new consignment of measles vaccines had been received and the government would launch a $4.2m nationwide immunisation campaign soon.

"We are targeting six million children aged six months to 15 years for the mass immunisation," he said.

Neighbouring Zambia is also experiencing its worst measles outbreak in years, with 88 killed over two months, mainly around the capital Lusaka.