Mexico demands probe as 2 tourists killed in Egypt

2015-09-14 07:53

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Mexico City - Mexico's president urged Egypt on Sunday to conduct an "exhaustive" investigation after at least two Mexican tourists were mistakenly killed by Egyptian security forces chasing jihadists.

The foreign ministry said the Mexican ambassador to Egypt visited five other nationals being treated at the Dar al-Fouad Hospital in a western Cairo suburb, where they were listed in stable condition.

Egypt's interior ministry said security forces killed 12 people and wounded 10 others, including Mexicans and Egyptians, who were travelling in four pickup trucks in the Western Desert.

It did not indicate how many Mexicans were hit and said they had been in an area "off limits to foreign tourists".

The Egyptian authorities did not indicate whether the tourists were killed by automatic fire or aerial bombardment.

"Mexico condemns these incidents against our citizens and has demanded an exhaustive investigation about what happened from the government of Egypt," President Enrique Pena Nieto said on Twitter.

Grave incident

Pena Nieto said he ordered his foreign ministry to deploy more diplomats to Egypt to assist the victims and their families.

"For the moment, we regrettably confirm the death of two Mexican nationals in this incident," Mexico's foreign ministry said in a statement, adding that it was working on identifying them.

The foreign ministry gave few details about what happened, describing it only as a "grave incident" in which an "undetermined" number of Mexican tourists were attacked "in circumstances that are still not clear."

Foreign Minister Claudia Ruiz Massieu is scheduled to give a press conference about the incident on Monday at 12:45 GMT.

Ruiz Massieu dispatched to Egypt the director of her ministry's office for the protection of Mexicans abroad, as well as personnel from other embassies in the region.

The ministry statement said she urged Egyptian authorities to help the Mexican tourists who are being taken to Cairo.

The embassy and foreign ministry "remain on alert to know the situation of other Mexicans affected", the statement said, adding that the government was in contact with families of the tourists.

The vast desert region, popular with tourists for its oases and rock formations, is also a militant hideout.

Last month, the Egyptian branch of the Islamic State group beheaded a young Croatian there who was working for a French company and have also launched numerous attacks against security forces.

The Islamic State group in Egypt said in a statement that it had "resisted a military operation in the Western Desert".

Read more on:    egypt  |  mexico  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.