Mexico leader 'outraged' as 8 citizens confirmed dead in Egypt

2015-09-16 07:36
Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto. (File: AP)

Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto. (File: AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Mexico City - Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto expressed his nation's "outrage" to his Egyptian counterpart on Tuesday after eight Mexican tourists were confirmed dead following a mistaken Egyptian military strike.

Pena Nieto received a phone call from President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who expressed his "most sincere condolences" over the "tragic incident", the Mexican leader's office said in a statement.

"President Pena Nieto expressed his deep dismay and sadness over the death of our citizens, as well as the pain and outrage that these unprecedented events have caused within Mexican society," the statement said.

The Mexican leader reiterated his call for an exhaustive and swift investigation into what happened last Sunday.

Egyptian authorities said security forces mistakenly killed a total of 12 people whose convoy had entered a restricted area of the desert while security forces chased jihadists.

Unjustified attack

Survivors told Mexican diplomats that they were bombed by an airplane and helicopters.

The Mexican government, which had previously confirmed the deaths of two citizens, said six more who had been unaccounted for were confirmed dead on Tuesday.

The foreign ministry said Mexican diplomats "had access to the remains of victims of the attack and were able to confirm that they are those of the six Mexicans who were part of the group of tourists".

Six other Mexicans wounded in the attack remain in stable condition at Al-Fouad Hospital.

Foreign Minister Claudia Ruiz Massieu flew to Cairo with families of the victims to personally seek answers from Egyptian officials.

The foreign ministry said relatives of four of the dead were aboard Ruiz Massieu's plane. Families of the two other identified people were notified by the ministry.

Ruiz Massieu "was able to personally inform them and offer her sincere condolences", her ministry said in a statement.

"Foreign Minister Ruiz Massieu lamented the loss of lives in an unjustified attack and reiterated that the priority of the Mexican government was to protect its citizens."

Read more on:    enrique pena nieto  |  abdel fattah al-sisi  |  mexico  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.