Migrant plan: Libya sends special envoy to talk with EU

2015-05-20 09:12


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - Libya said on Tuesday it has sent a special envoy to speak with the European Union about the EU's proposed military operation to destroy the boats of migrant smugglers who increasingly set off for Europe from the chaotic north African country.

A statement shared by Libya's mission to the United Nations says the country's internationally recognised government "confirms its total eagerness to do its effective role in controlling the mass migration which claimed the lives of thousands of people".

Some kind of consent from Libya is needed if the EU wants to operate in the country's territorial waters. But the country is split into two governments, the other backed by Islamist-allied militias.

 The Western-backed government says the smuggling operations are largely based in the west, which is under the other government's control.

Libya's UN ambassador this month said his government had not been consulted on the EU plan and largely rejected it, but Ibrahim Dabbashi later indicated that his government had been brought into the conversation.

High season for migrant trafficking

Now the government's special envoy, Nuri Bait Almal, has been sent to speak with the EU, the statement from the Western-backed government says, adding that "we are looking forward for an early engagement with the European leaders".

The statement does not say whether Libya would support an EU operation in its territorial waters or even on its shores, but it says: "We are seeking in all seriousness to cast out this phenomenon as soon as possible and to stop the flow of immigrants to EU countries."

It also acknowledges Libya's "inability in the current time to reduce these illegal migrations" and advocates cooperating with the EU on an action plan to end the crisis. The International Organisation for Migration estimates that more than 1 800 migrants have died or gone missing at sea on the way to Europe this year.

The 28-nation EU wants to launch its military operation next month. The operation is still in the planning stage and also requires a UN Security Council resolution for its full implementation to be legally sound. It will involve European navy ships, drones and satellite imagery.

The EU's top diplomat, Federica Mogherini, said on Monday that since the summer high season for migrant trafficking is rapidly approaching, speed is of the essence.

Read more on:    un  |  eu  |  libya  |  migrants  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.