Moroccan journo ready to replace banned site

2014-02-20 11:08


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rabat - A prominent Moroccan editor known for his taboo-breaking coverage said on Wednesday he is ready to start another news website to replace the one blocked by authorities.

Ali Anouzla, who was charged with advocating terrorism and abetting terrorists after his news website wrote about an al-Qaida video criticizing Morocco and its king, has kept a low profile since being freed on bail in October following a month in prison.

The charges against him carry up to a 20 year jail sentence and the trial is ongoing, with the next session set for 20 May. As part of his bail agreement the authorities blocked his website, but he has since asked them to have it restored.

"I am out on bail but that doesn't mean I can't practice my profession as a journalist," he said, explaining that if after a few weeks there was no response, he would launch Lakome 2. "If we launch a new site with a similar name and they block it, it will show the establishment's willingness for a free press."

Anouzla is known for his secular outlook, and many see the supporting terrorism charges as punishment for his past criticism of King Mohammed VI. In the media conference he condemned journalist and insisted on his support for freedom, tolerance and human rights.

Morocco, a popular tourist destination, is generally considered more stable and open than its North African neighbours, but it still ranks low on media freedom indexes.

However, in the past few years there has been an explosion in online journalism, with Anouzla's Lakome site leading the way.

Last year alone Anouzla's website broke the story of the king's accidental pardon of a convicted Spanish child molester, criticised the king's frequent trips to France, and broke with the official position on human rights monitoring in the annexed Western Sahara.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    morocco  |  north africa publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Ireland centre Payne out of RWC
Jones: Japan can be 'team of the tournament'
Tuilagi gets punishment cut
As it happened: New Zealand 47-9 Tonga
Traffic Alerts

The phrase for today is:”Out of the blue.” Expect the unexpected and work with the changeable energy. Your intuition is more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.