News24

Morocco blast: Three more arrested

2011-05-10 22:55

Rabat - Moroccan authorities arrested on Tuesday three more suspects for involvement in last month's bombing at a café in a Marrakesh tourist spot that killed 17 people, mostly foreigners, a security source said.

"These three persons were only aware of the attack plan but were not actively involved in its execution," added the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The arrest came five days after the main suspect and two other Moroccans were nabbed in Safi, 350km south of Casablanca, for their role in the Marrakesh bombing.

A police source said the three arrested on Tuesday "all live in Safi and were more or less aware of the plot. One of them even attended a mock attack near Safi."

The interior ministry said the main suspect, Adil Atmani, had lived in Portugal in 2004 and in Libya in 2008.

Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) has denied all responsibility for the bombing that killed 14 foreigners. Moroccan authorities had initially pointed the finger at AQIM.