Morocco storms kill 11: report

2014-12-02 07:26


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rabat - Floods triggered by torrential rains have killed 11 people in Morocco, a week after a storm left 36 dead, a television report said on Monday.

Storms again lashed the south of the kingdom, with the resort of Agadir experiencing the equivalent of an entire year's rainfall - more than 250mm - between Friday and Sunday.

The bad weather, which finally eased on Monday, led to many rivers bursting their banks and causing widespread damage, especially in the Guelmim region 200km south of Agadir, which has been declared a disaster area.

The 2M public television channel said the storm had killed 11 people, citing an "authorised source" as no official national death toll has yet been released. Previous reports gave seven dead.

"Another catastrophe: floods kill seven," the Arabic-language daily Al-Massae headlined earlier.

Both it and At-Tajdid, which cited "anonymous official sources", said two college students drowned on Friday in the Azilal region of the Anti-Atlas mountain range, and a youth was swept away southwest of Marrakesh.

Al-Massae and Akhbar al-Youm also reported a woman and her child killed when a house collapsed near Figuig.

The latter paper gave a death toll of at least five.

Al-Ittihad Al Ichtiraki said material damage ran into "billions" of dirhams (hundreds of millions of euros, dollars).

Several thousand homes were damaged or destroyed, roads cut and power networks damaged, the authorities said, adding that at least 250 villages had been cut off.

According 2M, an airbridge had been set up between Sidi Ifni and Guelmim "to provide assistance to populations surrounded by floods".

In the Guelmim region on the edge of the Sahara desert, which also bore the brunt of last week's deadly storms, whole districts were under water after dikes were breached.

Local authorities cited by the MAP news agency said several hundred people were being looked after because their homes were affected.

They said priority in Guelmim was being given to reopening roads, restoring power and providing drinking water and health services.

Authorities had placed some ares on high alert on Friday following criticism after the previous storm left at least 36 dead.

Read more on:    morocco  |  north africa  |  weather

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.