Moz cyclone: Red Cross appeals for $3m
Maputo - The Red Cross appealed on Thursday for nearly $3m to help thousands of families still waiting for aid after two tropical cyclones that killed at least 12 people in Mozambique last month.
"The damage caused by the cyclone is beyond the coping capacity of most affected families and the sooner we provide assistance, the better we can avert a humanitarian and food crisis," said Americo Ubisse, secretary general of the Mozambique Red Cross.
"We have exhausted our stocks and yet our staff and volunteers are confronted with desperate situations in the field. Aid is needed now to reduce human suffering."
The appeal by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies for $3m would support 70 000 people for the next year, it said in a statement.
The main needs are restoring clean water, sanitation and shelter, particularly in central Mozambique, it said.