Moz plans for vote despite boycott threat

2013-08-20 15:17

( )

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maputo - The Mozambican government has said it plans to stick to a schedule for elections later this year and in 2014 even though the main opposition party warns it will boycott the process.

Jose Pacheco, the government's head of negotiations with the opposition, said on Monday that elections will be held whether or not the opposition Renamo group participates. Municipal elections are scheduled for November 20, and presidential and parliamentary elections are to be held on 15 October next year.

The governing Frelimo party and Renamo disagree over the composition of the state elections panel amid fears that a two-decade peace between the two sides is fraying. Earlier this year, deadly clashes broke out between Renamo fighters and security forces in central Sofala province. The unrest has unsettled some investors seeking opportunities in the fast-growing economy.

After winning independence from Portugal in 1975, Mozambique fell into a devastating war between Frelimo, then a Marxist government, and the Renamo rebels, who were backed by neighbouring South Africa's apartheid government.

In the current dispute, Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama has said he won't stand in the presidential vote unless the electoral law is changed to address what alleged bias against his party. The head of the Renamo delegation, Saimone Macuiana, said his group wants "parity" in membership of electoral bodies as a way of guaranteeing fair elections.

The Frelimo-dominated parliament rejected the Renamo demand in December, and Pacheco, the government negotiator, said the opposition's proposal is unacceptable.

"The elections will go ahead as planned," said Pacheco, who is also agriculture minister. "Mozambique cannot be mortgaged to citizens who do not want to look at Mozambican reality constructively."

The government wants Renamo's security force to disarm, but that issue is also in a deadlock. Dhlakama, the Renamo leader, has threatened unrest if the government does not compromise, but Jose Mandra, the deputy interior minister, said security forces are on alert to thwart any disturbances.

Some figures in smaller opposition groups have accused the government and Renamo of excluding other segments of society from their negotiations.

Read more on:    frelimo  |  renamo  |  afonso dhlakama  |  mozambique  |  southern africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.