Mozambique army attacks former rebel camp

2013-07-08 08:47
Fighters of former Mozambican rebel movement Renamo receiving military training. (Jinty Jackson, AFP)

Fighters of former Mozambican rebel movement Renamo receiving military training. (Jinty Jackson, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maputo - Mozambique's armed forces have attacked a camp of former rebels in the centre of the country where "bandits" terrorised civilians on the road last month, state media said on Sunday.

The army broke up the base of about 50 huts close to the country's main north-south highway early on Saturday, according to state-run Radio Mozambique.

"We evicted some bandits camped in the area," provincial police commander Joaquim Nido told the radio station.

Official opposition and ex-rebel movement Renamo earlier claimed it had repelled government attacks on its camp near the town Muxungue late on Friday and early on Saturday.

Authorities claimed there were no casualties, but Renamo said it had killed government soldiers and independent newspaper A Verdade also reported an unknown number of deaths citing unnamed sources.

Return to violence

Provincial commander Nido said gunmen from the camp killed two civilians in attacks on vehicles travelling along the highway on 21 June.

At the time of those attacks Renamo denied responsibility, though it had warned two days earlier it would block the road.

Simmering tensions between Renamo and the Frelimo-led government erupted in violent clashes again in April - over two decades after a bloody civil war ended.

Renamo demands more representation in the armed forces and changes to the electoral law.

Several rounds of talks have failed.

Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama said this week he was willing to meet with President Armando Guebuza if government forces withdrew from the former rebels' base.

Soldiers had surrounded the camp in Sofala province's remote Gorongosa Mountains after the 21 June attacks.

Renamo has periodically threatened a return to violence after the end of the civil war, but only began acting on its threats since Dhlakama reopened his base in October 2012.

Commentators doubt the movement, previously supported by the apartheid government of neighbouring South Africa, has the resources to relaunch full-scale hostilities.


Read more on:    frelimo  |  renamo  |  armando guebuza  |  mozambique  |  southern africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.