Mozambique clash leaves at least 2 dead

2014-01-08 07:47

(http://www.shutterstock.com )

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maputo - At least two gunmen linked to the main opposition party were killed Tuesday in an exchange of fire with government forces in the small town of Pembe.

 Two other gunmen believed to be loyal to opposition party Renamo were captured, according to a news report on STV, the independent TV station.

 Mozambican Defence and security forces also suffered an unconfirmed number of casualties in the clash in southern Inhambane province, the report said.

Renamo is the former rebel group that signed a peace deal with the ruling Frelimo party in 1992, ending the long and bloody civil war that followed the departure of colonial power Portugal from the southern African country along the Indian Ocean.

 Although Renamo is the largest opposition party in Parliament with 51 of 250 seats, its officials nevertheless tore up the peace agreement in recent months after the military took over Dhlakama's bush headquarters in Sofala in October.

The military attacked Dhlakama's hideout in retaliation for attacks by Renamo guerrillas in central Sofala province, about 1 000km north of the capital Maputo. A senior Renamo leader was killed in the raid.

 Dhlakama has been on the run since then. The Ministry of Defence confirmed Tuesday's attack and said information gathered from the scene indicated that Dhlakama was behind the attacks.

The ministry called it a clear attempt to destabilize the country economically, politically and socially. Cristovo Chume, defence policy director in the Defence Ministry, said that Renamo was recruiting men to beef up its combat capacity.

The unrest has emptied out the towns of Fanha Fanha and Pembe, as people fled in fear of possible rebel attacks.

 Many residents lack transport money to ferry their belongings to safety in the nearby district centre. Men spent the weekend removing the zinc roofs from their homes to safety, and business activity had been completely paralysed.

 On Monday, police spokesperson Delcir Mariquel in Inhambane had denied the presence of the armed men in Pembe.

Read more on:    frelimo  |  renamo  |  mozambique  |  southern africa

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
8 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Top 10 richest musicians of all time

Check out the gallery to find out who they are!

 
 

Luxury living

Seven of the most expensive children's toys ever made
5 millionaires turned murderers
The youngest billionaires in the world and how they made it
Watch: Flying first class has never been this luxurious!
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

Innovation, idealism, romanticism and other far reaching dreams can lead you into a spiral of enthusiasm and excitement. Somewhere...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.