Mozambique opposition boycotts peace talks

2015-09-15 05:30
Afonso Dhlakama (AFP

Afonso Dhlakama (AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maputo - Mozambique's main opposition party Renamo on Monday boycotted peace talks with the ruling Frelimo for the second time, raising tensions further in the southern African nation where sporadic clashes between the army and rebel gunmen have resumed.

"As long as we do not have clear indications that the government is ready to accept our proposals, discussions are useless," Renamo MP Eduardo Namburete told AFP on Monday.

Peace talks were introduced two years ago after Renamo began a low-level insurgency against the government, two decades after its devastating 16-year civil war with Frelimo ended.

Former President Armando Guebuza and Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama last year signed a ceasefire in Maputo, allowing Dhlakama to run in the October presidential election.

But one year and 114 rounds of dialogue later, the ceasefire still hasn't been fully implemented, with Renamo blaming the government's failure to integrate rebel soldiers into the army and police.

Last week, Dhlakama announced the creation of a separate Renamo police force, and in recent weeks the opposition party also announced the creation of two new military bases.

Low-key skirmishes between Renamo and the military have resumed in recent months in the central coal-rich Tete province, forcing some to flee to neighbouring Malawi, according to local reports.

"We are concerned by the increasing levels of tension," peace talks mediator Reverend Anastacio Chembeze said in Monday's edition of the state-sponsored Noticias daily.

Mediators believe only a high-level meeting between the president and the Renamo leader will defuse the tension, but Dhlakama has officially rejected invitations sent by the presidency.

"If it is only to sit and drink tea, then there is no reason for them to meet. The government must first comply with the ceasefire before any meeting to take place," Renamo spokesperson Antonio Muchanga told AFP.

On Saturday, Dhlakama escaped unhurt after his convoy was hit by gunfire as he returned from a rally in the central Manica province.

He declared it a "planned attack" by Frelimo, an accusation which the police denied.

Read more on:    renamo  |  afonso dhlakama  |  mozambique  |  southern africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.