NPA successor: Pikoli in court
Johannesburg - Court papers are expected to be filed shortly to prevent the appointment of a permanent successor to axed National Prosecuting Authority boss Vusi Pikoli, his lawyers said on Wednesday.
Pikoli's attorney Aslam Moosajee said an urgent application for an interim interdict would be filed in the North Gauteng High Court "within a few days".
"We are in the process of settling papers," he said.
Earlier Business Day reported that the Presidency had informed Pikoli a permanent successor would be appointed despite him challenging his dismissal in court.
Pikoli had said he was suspended by former president Thabo Mbeki to protect suspended police chief Jackie Selebi from an investigation.
After former president Kgalema Motlanthe fired him last year, Pikoli claimed it was because the ANC wanted a more amenable prosecutions head. Zuma was then facing charges of fraud and corruption.
Pikoli had written to Judge President Bernard Ngoepe of the Gauteng North High Court in Pretoria, asking for a court date for his case in which he was challenging his dismissal on the grounds that it was unconstitutional and "flawed".
Zuma's acting spokesperson, Vincent Magwenya, declined to comment, saying: "I can't comment until all processes relating to this matter are finalised."