Nato rejects Gaddafi call for ceasefire

2011-04-30 17:01
Brussels - Nato has rejected strongman Muammar Gaddafi’s offer of talks to end the conflict in Libya and wants to see "not words but actions" to stop attacks on civilians, an alliance official told AFP.

"We need to see not words but actions," the official said, after Gaddafi earlier on Saturday offered to hold talks with France and the United States, even as his forces pressed their offensive against the key rebel-held port city of Misrata.

"[UN Security Council Resolution] 1973 explicitly calls for an end to attacks on and abuses of civilians. The regime has announced ceasefires several times before and continued attacking cities and civilians," the official said.

The official noted that earlier on Saturday Gaddafi’s forces had "indiscriminately shelled Misrata, killing many people, including children" and tried to mine the port to block the access of humanitarian aid.

"All this has to stop, and it has to stop now," the official said.

"Any ceasefire or peaceful solution must be credible and verifiable. And it must pave the way for a solution which responds to the legitimate demands of the Libyan people for political reforms," the official added.

The official noted that Nato foreign ministers in a statement earlier this month said the alliance will continue its operations in Libya "until all attacks and threats against civilians have ceased; until all of Gaddafi’s forces, including his snipers, mercenaries and paramilitary forces have returned to bases; and until there is full, safe and unhindered humanitarian access to all people in need of assistance.

"We will continue to keep up the pressure until the UN mandate is fulfilled."

Read more on:    nato  |  muammar gaddafi  |  libya  |  libya protests  |  north africa  |  uprisings

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Millions of plastic particles in our food!

Scientists and researchers believe that almost five million tons of plastic is dumped in the oceans every year and it’s affecting our food.



Plastic on your plate
Prince George the green prince?
Lean, green, drifiting machine
One man's $1 million vision for an eco Africa

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts

Trying to keep time for your social commitments and friendships as well as taking care of work and health obligations can be more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.