New violence in South Sudan despite peace deal

2015-08-29 19:23
South Sudan President Salva Kiir. (File, AFP)

South Sudan President Salva Kiir. (File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - South Sudan's army and rebels have begun fighting again in northern Unity State, two days after President Salva Kiir signed a long-awaited peace deal, a government spokesperson said on Friday.

It was difficult to ascertain which side started the fighting, presidential spokesperson Ateny Wek Ateny told dpa.

Kiir signed the agreement on Wednesday, but also expressed reservations about the deal, which aims to end a 20-month military conflict. It had been approved by rebel leader Riek Machar the week before.

Machar's spokesperson, Dickson Gatluak, said his troops were on the "defensive" against the government, suggesting the army initiated the latest round of violence. Infantry forces attacked rebel forces with heavy machineguns and gunboats in various locations of Unity State, according to Gatluak.

Kiir signed the pact only six days after the United States circulated a draft resolution at the UN Security Council that would have imposed an arms embargo and additional sanctions on South Sudan unless a ceasefire was signed.

In New York, the UN Security Council issued a statement on Friday welcoming the peace agreement, however, also noting that it would be swift to impose an arms embargo and targeted sanctions if the pact is not implemented.

"The Security Council calls upon the parties to adhere to the permanent ceasefire immediately ... and expresses its readiness to consider appropriate measures to ensure full implementation of the agreement," the statement said.

The agreement foresees a transitional power-sharing and security arrangement to end the fighting, which has killed tens of thousands and displaced more than 2.2 million people.

The document also stipulates the framework for a permanent ceasefire, humanitarian assistance and reconstruction as well as institutional reforms.

A string of previous ceasefires failed to stop the fighting that broke out when a power struggle between Kiir and Machar turned violent mid-December 2013.

More than 1.6 million people have been internally displaced and more than 600 000 have fled to neighbouring states, while about 200 000 have sought refuge in UN bases, according to the United Nations. About 4.6 million people could face a famine.

Read more on:    south sudan  |  aid  |  east africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.