Nigeria 'insurgency' children to be freed

2013-05-23 18:33
A Nigerian soldier, part of the "Operation Flush" patrolling in the remote northeast town of Baga, Borno State. (Pius Utomi Ekpei, AFP)

A Nigerian soldier, part of the "Operation Flush" patrolling in the remote northeast town of Baga, Borno State. (Pius Utomi Ekpei, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abuja - Nigerian authorities have detained children in connection with the Islamist insurgency they are battling, but the government plans to release them under a peace gesture announced this week, a statement said on Thursday.

The statement from an adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan comes after widespread allegations of Nigerian authorities carrying out indiscriminate arrests, unlawful detentions and extra-judicial executions in the fight against Islamist extremists.

It was issued because the government said it wanted to further clarify a defence ministry statement this week promising to release certain suspects held in connection with "terrorism," including all women. The military had made no mention of children.

"The order for the release of the detainees will be executed in phases," the statement from Jonathan adviser Doyin Okupe said.

"Concerning the first batch, the emphasis is on women and children who have been in detention on suspicion of involvement and/or connection with insurgency in some parts of the country."

Okupe did not respond to phone calls on Thursday for further details.

Islamist extremist group Boko Haram has previously demanded the release of women and children prisoners, though neither the defence nor government statement made any mention of the demand.

Suspected Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau claimed in a recent video that the group was holding women and children hostage in retaliation for wives and children of its members detained by the military.

The promise to release some of those detained comes as the military carries out an offensive in Nigeria's northeast seeking to end a violent insurgency under way since 2009.

Rights activists have long criticised Nigeria's military over its response to the insurgency, accusing it of major abuses.

The Boko Haram conflict is estimated to have cost 3 600 lives since 2009, including killings by the security services.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  abubakar shekau  |  goodluck jonathan  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.