Nigeria military restores Maiduguri phones

2013-12-03 21:45
The Nokia raises the bar for smartphone photography. (Duncan Alfreds, News24)

The Nokia raises the bar for smartphone photography. (Duncan Alfreds, News24) (Duncan Alfreds)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maiduguri - Nigeria's military on Tuesday restored the mobile phone service in the embattled city of Maiduguri, a day after a major raid by Islamists which prompted a round-the-clock ban on movements.

The phones were switched off in May when a state of emergency was declared in the area, a move the military said would help block Boko Haram from coordinating attacks in the northeastern city.

"The telephone lines in and out of Maiduguri were switched on... They should be working now," defence spokesperson Chris Olukolade told AFP but he added: "I cannot say how long this will last."

The mobile network also worked briefly for one day in July. It was not clear if service had been restored across Borno state, of which Maiduguri is the capital.

Several calls made from Lagos to Maiduguri went through on Tuesday and Olukolade said the decision was made "because the situation on the ground is conducive".

That explanation raised questions, however, as it came a day after a daring Boko Haram attack on air force and army bases in the city that caused heavy damage to military hardware.

Maiduguri residents voiced frustration on Tuesday morning over the impact of the order to remain indoors, saying it left families without access to food and water.

"We are being punished unnecessarily," said Gambo Datti, a grocery seller and resident of the Damboa road neighbourhood. "I have a wife and five children. As I am talking to you now, we have nothing for lunch," he added.

The Borno state government has announced the relaxation of the curfew, ordering residents to stay off the streets from 19:00 (18:00 GMT) to 06:00.

Maiduguri had been the epicentre of the four-year Boko Haram insurgency, which has cost thousands of lives.

The city had become safer in recent months and the military claimed the Islamist rebels had been largely chased out of their historic stronghold.

But experts said the Monday attack served as a clear reminder that the insurgent group remained strong and was still capable of attacking major urban centres.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  mobile  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.