Nigeria military says closing in on Boko Haram militants

2015-10-12 05:21

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Lagos - The Nigerian army said on Sunday it was closing in on Islamist Boko Haram militants and warned them of serious consequences should they fail to "surrender".

"They should follow their colleagues who have so far surrendered. Failure to surrender will result in serious consequences as our troops are fast closing up on them," army spokesperson Colonel Sani Usman said in a statement.

"We wish to inform them that we are aware of all their hideouts, camps and enclaves," said the statement sent to AFP.

The military has claimed that more than 200 members of the militant group surrendered September 25 when troops regained control of the northeastern town of Banki, a launching point for attacks into Cameroon.

There was no independent verification of the military's statement.

Boko Haram has denied its members surrendered and that 241 women and children were rescued when troops cleared what the military said were "terrorist camps" near Banki.

The statement on Sunday appealed to all Nigerians to persuade them to desist and renounce their membership of the group.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has set his military commanders a three-month deadline to early November to end Boko Haram violence, which has left at least 17 000 dead since 2009, mostly in the three affected states in the northeast: Borno, Adamawa and Yob.

The military has claimed a series of successes against Boko Haram recently, including the rescue of the 241 women and children.

But the group struck again this weekend, with 41 people killed on Saturday and 48 were wounded in triple explosions in a Chadian city on the shores of Lake Chad, blamed on Boko Haram, the government in N'Djamena said Sunday.

Lake Chad is bordered by Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad. Boko Haram has continued to attack in these neighbouring countries.

In another statement, the military said that security agencies were working to secure the release of school girls kidnapped in Chibok on April 14 last year and other citizens held hostage by the Islamists.

"The search for abducted Chibok school girls and the rescue of other Nigerians in hostage has never relapsed...," military spokesperson Colonel Rabe Abubakar said in the statement.

"The military has and will continue to sustain the operation until the entire northeast is cleared of all terrorists and miscreants," it added.

The abduction of more than 200 school girls from their dormitory triggered international uproar and condemnation.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.