Nigerian troops say repel Boko Haram attack

2015-01-14 17:50
Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau. (File: AFP)

Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau. (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kano - Nigeria's military on Wednesday said that soldiers had repelled a new Boko Haram attack after a two-hour gun battle in the restive northeast.

The country's defence headquarters said in a series of tweets that the militants had been pushed back from Biu, in Borno State, and two anti-aircraft guns had been captured.

"Troops in pursuit of fleeing terrorists as mopping up operation is ongoing. Five terrorists have so far been captured," it said.

Residents in town, about 200km southwest of the state capital, Maiduguri, told AFP scores of militant fighters stormed the town in 10 pick-up trucks at about 07:30.

Rain of bullets

But they were intercepted by soldiers from a nearby barracks, leading to a two-hour gunfight.

"Soldiers opened fire on three pick-up vans carrying the gunmen that came as an advance party while the rest remained at a fuel station in Kigir village," said resident Babagana Haruna.

"There were 10 gunmen in each vehicle and all of them were killed in the rain of bullets from the soldiers," he claimed, although there was no independent verification of the death toll.

The Islamists' apparent target was the town's military base, residents said.

The remaining insurgents then arrived at the scene in vans and motorcycles and 10 more were killed, said resident Awwalu Yusuf.

Makeshift weapons

Civilian vigilantes and soldiers pursued the militants into the bush and youths armed with makeshift weapons set up barricades across the town to prevent them from returning.

Biu is a religiously mixed town and the largest in southern Borno. It has been largely spared Boko Haram attacks on nearby villages in the past two years.

Boko Haram on 3 January carried out what is feared to be the worst atrocity in the six-year insurgency, when they attacked the town of Baga in the far north of Borno.

The military claimed this week that 150 people were killed but eye-witnesses and local officials report that hundreds, if not more, lost their lives.

Both claims are impossible to verify, with Boko Haram reportedly still in control of the town.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.