Nigerians outraged by minister's $1.4m cars

2013-10-22 09:00


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abuja - A government minister has angered Nigerians by buying two bullet-proof limousines for $1.4m, in a country where 60% of people live on less than $1 a day.

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) said it ordered the BMW 760 Li vehicles for 225 million Nigerian naira two months ago at the request of Aviation Minister Stella Oduah, saying they were necessary for security.

"It is internationally customary to convey our minister and ... foreign dignitaries in a security vehicle whenever they are in Nigeria," NCAA Director General Fola Akinkuotu told journalists over the weekend.

News of the car purchase was revealed in a document leaked by a whistle-blower to US-based Nigerian diaspora website Sahara Reporters last week. Oduah's supporters say the story is an attempt by her enemies to smear her reputation.

But Nigerians, fed up with what they see as politicians' squandering of public money on flash cars and houses while education and health budgets are squeezed, expressed outrage.

"When poverty is eroding the lives of the citizenry, it is outrageous for such an amount of money to be used to purchase armed vehicles for the minister," an activist group called the Africa Network for Environment and Economic Justice said, calling on called on Oduah to resign.

Oduah's spokesperson Joe Obi was not immediately available for comment, but he was quoted in The Punch newspaper on Monday as saying the vehicles were needed because of "clear and imminent threats to her personal security."

Reckless spending of public funds

Around 70% of the budget of Africa's top oil producer is spent on running the government, leaving the remaining 30% for investment in badly needed infrastructure.

Almost 100 million Nigerians live on less than $1 a day.

"In another land, this act of recklessly spending public funds ... would be a political suicide," blogger Tolu Ogunlesi wrote in The Punch. "But this is Nigeria, where such irresponsible acts are welcome."

Adding to the controversy is that fact that the cars retail in the West at a third of the price, around $250 000. Akinkuotu attributed the price difference to a monopoly position enjoyed by the importer.

Oduah, a close ally of President Goodluck Jonathan, upset relatives of plane crash victims this month by calling such incidents inevitable acts of God. There have been two deadly plane crashes in the past 15 months, including one that killed 163 people last year.

Read more on:    nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.