No decision on W Cape - ANC
Johannesburg - No decision has been made to disband any provincial executive committee (PEC) of the African National Congress, spokesperson Ishmael Mnisi said on Saturday.
He was responding to media reports suggesting that the NEC was considering a recommendation - which had apparently been made by the national working committee - to disband the Western Cape and North West PECs.
"No such decision had been made yet," Mnisi said.
"It's wrong for anyone to report such a thing. The only time such a decision can be discussed will be at the national executive committee meeting.
"If the NEC does make a decision on it, the pronouncement will only be made at the end of the NEC meeting," he said.
Meanwhile, Cosatu president Sdumo Dlamini said the ruling party lost the Western Cape because there had been squabbles amongst PEC members, SABC News reported.
Dlamini was speaking during the trade union federation's provincial congress in Cape Town.
"We did not lose the Western Cape because the [Democratic Alliance] was stronger, That's not true.
"We lost the Western Cape because we were weaker because of our own squabbles and fights amongst ourselves," said Dlamini.
"We trust the interventions that have come up, indeed these are going to yield the best results so that as we go to local government [elections] we will win this province," he said.