No immediate proof found of mass Darfur rape

2014-11-11 08:17
Peacekeepers patrol in the United Nations Mission in a Sudan camp. ( Ali Ngethi, AFP)

Peacekeepers patrol in the United Nations Mission in a Sudan camp. ( Ali Ngethi, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Khartoum - The joint UN-African Union peacekeeping mission in Sudan's Darfur region said on Monday an initial investigation has turned up no evidence of a claimed mass rape in a village there, but a UN envoy said there was a heavy military presence during the visit which could have affected the findings.

Unamid said investigators spent several hours on Sunday in the village of Tabit, located 45km southwest of El-Fasher, the capital of North Darfur.

The UN Security Council was briefing behind closed doors on the investigation. Australia's UN Ambassador Gary Quinlan, the current council president, told reporters afterward that the Sudanese military denied Unamid access to Tabit from 4-9 November.

He said the UN special representative on sexual violence in conflict, Zainab Hawa Bangura, told council members by videoconference from Geneva that while the rape allegations remain unverified, because of the heavy military presence "in her view it was not possible to conclude that no sexual violence took place".

Allegations first surfaced earlier this month of a mass rape of 200 women in Tabit and Unamid said it intends to conduct further investigations.

Quinlan said Bangura told the council that it was critical that Unamid continued to have unrestricted access to Tabit to complete its investigation and to provide any humanitarian and medical assistance that may be required.

She reminded members that neither she nor her predecessor had been permitted to visit Darfur, and she urged the Sudanese government to facilitate her visit, Quinlan said.

He said a number of council members asked why a strong military presence was necessary during the Unamid visit and spoke of "an environment of threat and intimidation".

Quinlan said Bangura raised questions about whether "a wall of silence" had been created.

"We've all agreed that the proper course now is to ensure that the Unamid continuing investigation happens as soon as possible, and that there is high-level contact between Unamid and the government to ensure that it happens", he said.

Read more on:    un  |  sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.