Paper disappoints Presidency
Johannesburg - The Presidency said on Sunday that it was "disappointed" with incorrect claims made by the Saturday Star with regards to the renovation of Kings House in Durban.
The report claimed that "tens of millions" was being spent by the Department of Public Works to upgrade the 106-year-old house in Morningside. However, according to the Presidency, these upgrades had been on-going for seven years and not because Jacob Zuma was voted president in this year's elections.
"It is unfortunate that the Saturday Star decided to ignore the facts provided, and sought instead to cast aspersions on the integrity of President Jacob Zuma, by creating an impression of some deliberate intent on his part to have an extravagant residence in Durban," the Presidency said in a statement.
"Kings House is an official State house managed by the Department of Public Works, available for use by the President and Deputy President or any dignitary of befitting status, when in Durban.
"It is not the personal residence of President Zuma. He will share it with the Deputy President and other dignitaries," the Presidency said.