Peacekeepers in Sudan's Darfur repel attacks

2015-04-24 22:41
Darfur Unamid patrol (AFP)

Darfur Unamid patrol (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Khartoum - Unidentified gunmen have launched two attacks on peacekeepers in Sudan's troubled Darfur region, losing four of their own men in one of them, the UN-African Union mission said on Friday.

The UN-AU mission in Darfur deployed to the region in 2007, four years after ethnic insurgents mounted a campaign against the Arab-dominated government of Omar al-Bashir, complaining of their marginalisation.

Around 40 horsemen and camel-mounted gunmen attacked "Nigerian troops protecting a water point" in Kass, 85km from South Darfur state capital Nyala, on Thursday evening.

The peacekeepers returned fire, killing four attackers and wounding one, whom they handed over to Sudanese police, Unamid said.

Two peacekeepers were also wounded, it said.

On Friday morning, unidentified gunmen attacked a Unamid patrol travelling from Nyala to Kass and "four peacekeepers were injured during the exchange of fire", the mission said.

Unamid acting head Abiodun Bashua called on Khartoum to investigate the attacks.

"The continuing climate of impunity and failure to prosecute those who attack peacekeepers and humanitarian workers have to end," Bashua said in a statement.

2.5 million leave homes

However, last year Khartoum told Unamid to prepare to leave after the mission's attempts to investigate the reported rape of 200 women and girls in a North Darfur village sparked government anger.

Talks between the UN, AU and government on an exit strategy for the mission are due to resume in the second week of May.

Gunmen sporadically attack Unamid patrols in Darfur. Three Ethiopian peacekeepers were killed last October as they guarded a well in North Darfur.

Since the conflict in the western region erupted in 2003, 300 000 people have been killed and nearly 2.5 million more forced to flee their homes, the UN says, although the government puts the death toll at 10 000.

The International Criminal Court indicted Bashir for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity in 2009 and for genocide in 2010.

Read more on:    international criminal court  |  unamid  |  sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.