Protesters vow to bring Mubarak down
Cairo - Anti-government protesters said on Thursday they were more determined than ever to topple President Hosni Mubarak after supporters loyal to him charged Tahrir Square, sparking violence that killed five people.
Hundreds of people had camped in Tahrir Square overnight despite the violence. The square stayed in the control of anti-government protesters. Many protesters guarded barricades around the square against pro-Mubarak loyalists.
Television footage on Al Jazeera showed army units in the area arresting people in civilian clothes. Protesters had said on Wednesday that some pro-Mubarak supporters who attacked them had been questioned by soldiers. "One way or another we will bring Mubarak down," some chanted in the early morning. "We will not give up, we will not sell out," others shouted.
Egypt's health minister said five people were killed in the violence and 836 wounded, while 86 of those were still hospitalised. Al Arabiya television, without citing sources, said more than 10 were killed and 1 500 wounded. "What happened yesterday (Wednesday) made us more determined to remove President Mubarak," the protest movement Kefaya, or Enough spokesperson said to Al Jazeera television.
"There will be no negotiations with any member of Mubarak's regime after what happened yesterday and what is still happening in Tahrir Square," he said. A man addressing anti-government protesters by speaker told those in the square who had slept to head to a barricade near the museum end of the square to help those who had spent the night guarding the area from pro-Mubarak protesters. "There have been arrests of criminals and trouble-makers," the man said, without saying who had been arrested.