Rajoelina not eligible to run in polls – AU

2013-05-17 15:15
Andry Rajoelina (File: AFP)

Andry Rajoelina (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Antananarivo - The African Union (AU) has said it will not recognise Andry Rajoelina as Madagascar's president if he wins July's presidential election, piling more pressure on the incumbent leader not to stand.

Rajoelina plunged the country into a still-unresolved political crisis in 2009 when he seized power with military support in what the AU called a coup. The ensuing turmoil has stunted foreign investment and badly hurt economic growth.

Following the AU's pronouncement, France and the European Union said they were suspending funding of the election, Madagascar's election commission (CENIT) said.

In a statement after a late-night meeting on Thursday, the AU's Peace and Security Council said: "Perpetrators of unconstitutional change of government cannot participate in the elections organised to restore democratic order.

"Council stresses that the AU will not recognise the Malagasy authorities which would be elected in violation of the relevant AU and SADC [Southern African Development Community] decisions," it added.

Rajoelina and Marc Ravalomanana, the man he unseated from power, both bowed to regional pressure in January and pledged not to stand in the election, in a deal brokered by the SADC.

But Rajoelina, 38, said this month that deal was broken when the wife of Ravalomanana, Lalao Ravalomana, said she would run.

The AU called the candidacies of Rajoelina, Lalao Ravalomanana and former president Didier Ratsiraka "illegitimate", indicating the bloc would not recognise any of the trio as a legitimate leader.

Rajoelina's volte-face has raised political and economic uncertainty on the island, a source of oil, gold, chrome, uranium, cobalt, nickel and ilmenite.

Rajoelina, Lalao Ravalomanana and Ratsiraka ignored a request from the SADC last week to withdraw their candidacies.

"The EU and France are suspending their funding contributions," Charly Venty, the chief of staff to the CENIT's president, said on Friday. "This will of course disrupt preparations."

Read more on:    au  |  sadc  |  andry rajoelina  |  marc ravalomanana  |  madagascar  |  southern africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.