News24

Rebels force Mali forces retreat

2012-02-09 22:47

Bamako - The Malian government says that its forces have left the town of Tin-n-Zaouatene after repeated attacks from Tuareg rebels.

The Ministry of Defence said the retreat was ordered on Wednesday and was linked to a redeployment of its forces. The Ministry said that one government soldier had been killed in the fighting and two injured.

Members of a Tuareg rebel group began a series of attacks on towns in Mali January 17, saying they are fighting for independence from the Malian government.

A spokesperson for the rebels, Moussa Ag Acharatoumane, said that capture of Tin-n-Zaouatene was a major victory.

Aid officials say at least 30 000 people are now displaced within Mali, and thousands of others have fled to neighbouring countries.