Rights groups slam Egypt over death sentences

2014-12-03 16:03
An Egyptian man reads a newspaper on a street in Cairo, Egypt. (Amr Nabil, AP)

An Egyptian man reads a newspaper on a street in Cairo, Egypt. (Amr Nabil, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - Global rights groups Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International slammed Egypt Wednesday over the mass death sentencing of 188 Islamists days after murder charges were dropped against ex-president Hosni Mubarak.

A Cairo court on Tuesday sentenced 188 supporters of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi to death over the killing of 13 policemen in a village on the outskirts of Cairo on 14 August 2013.

The defendants were found guilty of killing the officers in Kerdassa on the day security forces forcibly dispersed two pro-Morsi protest camps in Cairo in an operation that left hundreds of demonstrators dead.

"Mass death sentences are fast losing Egypt's judiciary whatever reputation for independence it once had," Sarah Leah Whitson, HRW's Middle East and North Africa director, said in a statement.

"Instead of weighing the evidence against each person, judges are convicting defendants en masse without regard for fair trial standards."

Egyptian courts have sentenced hundreds of Morsi supporters to lengthy jail terms and many to death after speedy mass trials, which the United Nations called "unprecedented in recent history".

The government crackdown on Morsi supporters since the army ousted him on July 3 last year has resulted in at least 1 00 people dead and thousands jailed.

Several leaders of Muslim Brotherhood, including Morsi, are themselves on trial in cases which carry the death penalty if convicted.

Amnesty International also lashed out at Tuesday's mass sentencings.

"It is quite telling that the sentencing... was handed down in the same week that the case against former president Hosni Mubarak was dropped," said Hassiba Hadj Sahrouai, Amnesty's Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa.

"This is blatantly a case of justice being meted out based on a political whim."

A Cairo court on Saturday dismissed murder and corruption charges against Mubarak and seven aides in a case involving the deaths of some of the roughly 800 demonstrators killed during the 2011 revolt that ended the veteran leader's three-decades old rule.

The prosecution has filed an appeal against the Mubarak verdict.

Read more on:    ai  |  hrw  |  egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.