Rwanda leader slams West over genocide

2012-04-07 22:29
Kigali - Rwandan President Paul Kagame on Saturday accused unspecified Western countries of failing to stop genocide suspects on their territory as his country marked the 18th anniversary of a Tutsi massacre.

"As we remember those we lost, some of those who killed them are still moving freely in some capitals of the so-called free world," said Kagame.

"There is little effort to apprehend them and when this happens, it is a token meant to blind us and give us the impression that they are doing justice.

"They are released shortly after. Yet when acts of terrorism are committed against their people, the whole world is mobilised, in fact sometimes forced to join in the research of those criminals so that they can be brought to justice."

A French court last week for the first time agreed that a suspect should be extradited to Rwanda to face charges of genocide.

Fair trial

The court ruling followed an international arrest warrant issued in December for Claude Muhayimana, a French-Rwandan dual national who is accused of taking part in genocide and crimes against humanity.

The extradition can only go ahead if the French government gives its accord, and France has never allowed its nationals to be extradited.

France has previously extradited Rwandan citizens to Tanzania to face trial at the International Criminal Tribunal (ICTR) for Rwanda but has never sent anyone to Rwanda itself for trial over the 1994 genocide.

Western countries and the ICTR had long hesitated to transfer indicted genocide suspects living abroad or detainees to Rwanda's national jurisdiction, fearing they would be denied a fair trial.

But Kagame, who spoke in English and in the country's principal local language, said: "It would appear that Rwandan lives, or similarly, lives of Africans, are less valued than the lives of their citizens.

"It is hypocrisy, injustice that we Africans have had to confront for a long time and that we must reject by all means."

Perpetrated by ethnic Hutu extremists the April - July 1994 genocide left nearly 800 000 people dead, according to the UN.

French investigative magistrates met with Rwanda's prosecutor general, Martin Ngoga, earlier this week after he threatened to suspend all co-operation with France.

Rwanda says the differences have been cleared and French investigators are now free to pursue their work in Rwanda.
Read more on:    paul kagame  |  rwanda  |  1994 rwandan genocide  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
9 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.