Senegal to extradite 'terrorists'
Dakar - An appeal court in Senegal on Thursday gave the green light for the extradition of three Moroccans accused of terrorism, but their fate depends on a presidential decree, their lawyer said.
The court "gave a favourable verdict" for the extradition to Morocco of Si Mohamed, Mohamed Brigph and Moulaye Abdelhani Nadane, the lawyer Assane Dioma Ndiaye told AFP.
Ndiaye said that "good relations between Senegal and Morocco and reasons of state won out over humanitarian considerations and the international obligations of Senegal," which ban the extradition of people to countries where they risk torture.
"Now it's up to the president of the republic (Abdoulaye Wade) to sign the extradition decree. That's our last hope to avoid the irreparable," Ndiaye added.
Morocco asked for the extradition of the three men in June, on suspicion that they had been recruited by an organisation based in Somalia, whose goal is to commit attacks in Iraq, Afghanistan and Morocco, according to documents seen by the court.
"The Senegalese authorities say that they were in transit via Dakar to go to Somalia," Ndiaye told AFP last week.
On Thursday, he said that he planned to write to President Wade to inform him of the "concerns of (the three Moroccans) about the practice of torture and the risk of extrajudicial execution" in Morocco.
The three Moroccans are currently being held in a Dakar jail.