Somali security crackdown after attacks

2013-04-15 11:14

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Mogadishu - Somalia's police force launched a major security operation on Monday searching for explosives and weapons, a day after a spectacular suicide attack by Islamist insurgents in the city.

"There is a major security operation under way in Mogadishu," said senior police official Mohamed Hassan. "So far more than 400 people have been detained, the operations are aimed at tackling insecurity."

On Sunday, a nine-man suicide commando blasted its way into Mogadishu's main court complex, some blowing up their explosive vests while others sprayed gunfire in a rampage that left 29 civilians dead, while a separate bomb attack killed five more.

The al-Qaeda-linked Shabaab militant group claimed responsibility for the courthouse attack.

"All vehicles moving in town are subject to security screening while the passengers are being temporarily detained for questioning," Hassan added.

Security forces set up road blocks across the city.

"The soldiers are stopping all vehicles and arresting people," said Ali Ismail, a witness.

"I saw nearly 300 people who were detained and blindfolded near the industrial road. Everyone the security forces set eyes on today is getting arrested," said Yusuf Ganey, another witness.

String of attacks

"This is not a normal operation," he said.

The Shabaab Islamists used to control most of the seaside capital until they abandoned fixed positions in August 2011. But the extremist group has since carried out a string of attacks against the UN-backed government.

A regional military offensive has forced many Shabaab fighters to pull out of a string of key towns, but the insurgents have reverted to guerrilla tactics and have carried out several bomb attacks in Mogadishu.

But the scale and audacity of this latest attack - striking in the heart of the heavily-guarded administrative quarter of the capital - still shocked many.

"None one thought the Shabaab could still strike at the heart of government but it happened and it was a really horrible attack, it is really very difficult to fight someone who does not fear the pain of death," said Muktar Isa, a resident.

The area round the courthouse remained cordoned off on Monday with security forces still surrounding the area.

Read more on:    al-shabaab  |  al-qaeda  |  somalia  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.