South Sudan calls for ceasefire monitors as it denies attacking rebels

2015-09-08 11:09
South Sudan violence continues. (Fabio Bucciarelli, AFP)

South Sudan violence continues. (Fabio Bucciarelli, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - South Sudan's army on Tuesday called for international monitors to observe a ceasefire, as it rejected repeated rebel claims of heavy battles in the war-torn country.

Both sides have accused each other of breaking the August 29 ceasefire aimed at ending a brutal 20-month civil war, and the United States has said it is preparing possible new UN sanctions for two more individuals for their role in the continued fighting.

Ceasefire monitors from the regional East Africa bloc Igad, which led efforts to negotiate the peace deal, are meant to be monitoring the ceasefire, the eighth to have been agreed since war began in December 2013.

But Igad monitors for now lack the resources to monitor the rival forces, fractured into multiple militia units, with the rebels themselves divided.

"We have asked for monitors from the United States or the United Nations to fill the gap, to observe the ceasefire to stop these accusations," army spokesperson Philip Aguer told AFP.

The request for international monitors had been made by the army chief Paul Malong, he added.

The world's youngest nation, South Sudan descended into bloodshed in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused rebel chief Riek Machar, then his deputy, of planning a coup.

The violence has left tens of thousands of people dead and the impoverished country split along ethnic lines.

Aguer dismissed rebel claims late on Monday that government forces had attacked rebel positions for a fifth day in the battleground northeastern state of Upper Nile as "lies", and said that the army "remains committed to the ceasefire".

But rebel spokesperson William Gatjiath Deng claimed helicopter gunships from neighbouring Uganda, which sent in troops to back government forces, but who under the peace deal, must withdraw by October 10 had pounded their positions.

It was not possible to independently verify the reports.

Read more on:    salva kiir  |  south sudan  |  east africa  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.