South Sudan peace deal in tatters as rivals blame each other

2015-08-20 11:01
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - Peace efforts in South Sudan were in tatters as warring rivals blamed each other for attacks and the army claimed that the rebels had broken their own peace deal hours after signing.

The government of the world's youngest nation has refused to ink the power-sharing deal, despite the threat of sanctions and mounting international frustration at the failure to seal a peace accord.

It prompted the African Union to warn on Wednesday that the rivals would bring "disaster" on themselves and the region if no deal is signed.

The 20-month-long war shows no sign of stopping.

"There was a heavy attack by the rebels, but we fought back in self-defence and repulsed them," army spokesman Philip Aguer told AFP, describing battles on Wednesday in the Manyo district of the north-eastern oil-producing Upper Nile state.

The blame game

Rebels accused the government of wanting a military solution, and said they were attacked near the small but strategic southern town of Pageri on Tuesday, on the main road south from the capital Juba towards the Ugandan border.

Rebel general James Koang Chuol said his troops had then seized Pageri, claiming they now controlled the key highway.

Aguer, however, said the government was in control of Pageri.

He dismissed the rebel claims as "lies", saying that while two government soldiers were killed in fighting, they were attacked by unknown gunmen raiding cattle.

Reports of fighting could not be independently confirmed, but the blame game came after a Monday deadline ended to sign a peace deal.

While rebel chief Riek Machar signed the document at talks in Ethiopia, President Salva Kiir only initialled part of it, and said he would return to the table in early September to finalise the accord.

The US state department said Kiir had told Secretary of State John Kerry that he has "every intention" of signing the agreement.

"He said he needed a couple more days of consultations but he made it very clear that it was his intention to sign," a spokesperson said.

Aguer, meanwhile, accused the rebels of breaking the deal. "You cannot sign a peace agreement and then launch an attack hours later," he said.

'Failure of leadership'

The UN aid chief for South Sudan Eugene Owusu, in a ceremony on Wednesday remembering the 29 aid workers murdered in the war as well as the "many more" missing, said that "indifference amongst those in power leaves too many without hope".

Nearly 70% of the country's population is facing food shortages while nearly 200 000 terrified civilians are sheltering in UN bases.

"Fighting in South Sudan has caused immense suffering and loss for millions," Owusu said.

Meanwhile, international anger at the standoff is growing with the United States and Britain on Tuesday pushing for UN sanctions against the government.

US National Security Advisor Susan Rice accused Kiir's government of a "failure of leadership" and said it had "squandered" another opportunity to end a conflict that has killed tens of thousands and plunged the country into chaos.

Security and stability

African Union Commission chief Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma also condemned the setback. "Deadlock in the peace process can only spell further disaster for South Sudan and its people, with far-reaching implications for regional security and stability," she said in a statement.

The government, which has called the proposed deal a "sellout", says it is not possible to sign a credible peace accord because the rebel forces have split.

Powerful rebel general Peter Gadet and other key commanders earlier this month accused Machar of seeking power for himself, and said they would fight both their former comrade and the government.

South Sudan has been torn by fighting between forces loyal to Kiir and rebels allied with Machar, his former deputy, since December 2013 and the violence has exploded along ethnic lines.

"The conflict must end," Owusu said. "We cannot and must not turn our backs on the people of South Sudan."

Read more on:    au  |  riek machar  |  salva kiir  |  nkosazana dlamini-zuma  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.