South Sudan rebels say killed 'many' government soldiers

2015-05-18 17:25

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - South Sudanese rebels killed "many" government soldiers in three days of fighting in Malakal, the capital of oil-producing Upper Nile State, a rebel military spokesperson said on Monday.

The rebel forces brought down a government helicopter gunship that had been sent to attack rebel positions in the town on Sunday, Lony Ngundeng told Reuters.

"The government forces have lost many soldiers," he said.

Government spokesperson was not immediately available to comment.

The world's newest state, which declared independence from Sudan in 2011, was plunged into conflict nearly 18 months ago between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and rebels allied with his former deputy, Riek Machar.

Several ceasefires have been agreed and broken and each side accuses the other of violating one announced in early February.

Spread of violence

The conflict reopened ethnic fault lines between Kiir's Dinka people and Machar's forces, who are largely ethnic Nuer.

IGAD, the regional group that acts as the mediator in the crisis, said the rebels had ganged up with the Shilluk militia of General Johnson Olony to attack the government's positions in and around Malakal.

It was not immediately clear if Olony, a major general in the government's army, had officially defected to the rebel side. Ngundeng said the rebels and Olony's forces jointly controlled the town.

"The IGAD Mediation is deeply frustrated by the spread of violence to Upper Nile and strongly condemns this serious violation of the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement," the group said in a statement. It urged the warring parties to end the killings.

Malakal is the operations hub for aid agencies in the state, where an estimated 245 000 people have been displaced by fighting.

The United Nations Security Council also condemned the renewed fighting.

"The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the repeated violations of the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement accepted and signed by the Republic of South Sudan and the SPLM/A [in Opposition] on 23 January 2014," it said in a statement on Sunday.

Read more on:    riek machar  |  salva kiir  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.