Sudan, S Sudan meet for crisis talks

2012-04-03 09:11
Addis Ababa - Senior officials from Sudan and South Sudan met on Monday for the first face-to-face talks since heavy fighting between their armies broke out last week in disputed oil-rich border regions.

Bloody clashes including airstrikes, tanks and heavy artillery - the worst violence since South Sudan's independence in July - had raised international concerns the former civil war foes could return to all out war.

Sudanese Defence Minister Abdel-Rahim Mohamed Hussein, who met his southern counterpart John Kong Nyuon with their respective delegations, said he hoped the meeting would result in a signed deal.

"We agreed that this tension between the two countries should be released," Hussein said.

Southern Information Minister Barnaba Marial Benjamin said talks were ongoing, but added claims that Khartoum was "still bombing" border areas in the South.

"South Sudan is determined to ensure a return to war is avoided and to peacefully resolve the outstanding issues," he told reporters in Nairobi.

"It is time to leave the path of confrontation and war, and walk the path of peace in the interest of the people of Sudan and South Sudan."

Delegations from both countries were in the Ethiopian capital for crisis talks that were stalled after both sides accused each other of initiating the clashes.

Sudan's army late Sunday claimed South Sudanese forces launched another push into the Heglig oil region - a disputed area controlled by Khartoum - accusations denied by Juba.

Tensions remain high between their armies along the border, and both sides have traded furious rhetoric.

"It is very clear that the aggression is from their side," said Badreldin Abdalla, a senior official at Sudan's foreign ministry attending the talks, adding that Khartoum was "committed to peace".

"Sudan's government is not for war, it is not for conflict again," Abdalla said ahead of Monday's meeting.

Juba's chief negotiator Pagan Amum on Sunday accused the north of "waging war" and said Khartoum was planning fresh attacks.

Read more on:    sudan  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
3 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.