Sudan, South Sudan talks muted

2012-05-30 21:46
Unmis peacekeepers driving past a destroyed UN truck that was part of a UN convoy that was ambushed about a week ago while transporting northern soldiers out of Abyei. (Stuart Price, AFP/Unmis)

Unmis peacekeepers driving past a destroyed UN truck that was part of a UN convoy that was ambushed about a week ago while transporting northern soldiers out of Abyei. (Stuart Price, AFP/Unmis) (Stuart Price)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Addis Ababa - Top negotiators for Sudan and South Sudan made slow progress on Wednesday as they pressed ahead with their first talks since deadly border fighting last month took them to the brink of war.

South Sudan's chief negotiator Pagan Amum said the mood of the talks was "neutral" as they broke for the night on Wednesday, with Juba rejecting Khartoum's claims to have pulled out all troops from the contested border region of Abyei.

The United Nations said Sudanese troops had pulled out from Abyei on Tuesday, as the two parties restarted their talks in the Ethiopian capital.

"We made our position very clear that it was a partial withdrawal, Sudan Armed Forces withdrew their forces leaving two platoons," said Amum.

"We call on Sudan to withdraw all their forces as they are required by the (UN) resolution," Amum added, claiming that troops remained in Abyei while a full battalion was posted just across the northern side of the border.

Teams from both sides are in Addis Ababa taking part in African Union-led talks which were stalled last month by fierce clashes in border areas, the worst fighting since the South won independence last July.

South Sudan had already pulled its security forces out of Abyei in line with a UN Security Council demand for both sides to demilitarise the territory.

Abyei is one of the key disputes between Sudan and South Sudan, which have been fighting each other along their undemarcated border.

Sudanese troops seized the region in May 2011, forcing some 110 000 people to flee southwards, where most remain in impoverished camps.

Khartoum has said it will only address issues such as contested areas and citizenship once the all-important security concerns have been addressed.

Sudan and its southern region fought a war that left more than two million people dead from 1983 until 2005, when South Sudan was given autonomy under a deal that paved the way for independence.

Read more on:    sudan  |  south sudan

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.