Sudan ceasefire talks bomb

2014-12-10 05:10
Sudan's president Omar al-Bashir. (AFP, File pictures)

Sudan's president Omar al-Bashir. (AFP, File pictures)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - The Sudanese government and rebels said they failed to agree on a ceasefire as three weeks of negotiations to end a three-year-long conflict concluded on Tuesday amid an uptick in violence.

Khartoum has been fighting an insurgency in the southern provinces of Blue Nile and South Kordofan since 2011, mounted mostly by former civil war fighters who were left in Sudan after South Sudan seceded that year.

Talks collapsed largely because the rebels insisted that a ceasefire in the two regions be negotiated in conjunction with one in neighbouring Darfur, where a conflict that saw the government accused of genocide a decade ago has rumbled on.

"We see these as separate issues from each other, and each region has its specific needs," said Hussein Karshoum, a member of the government delegation.

He said the talks, which took place in the Ethiopian capital under the auspices of an African Union panel headed by former South African President Thabo Mbeki, were expected to resume in January.

On Monday, both sides reported clashes in South Kordofan.

The rebel Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North Sector (SPLM-N) also wanted to link the talks with political developments in Khartoum.

President Omar al-Bashir, who has ruled the country for 25 years and is a candidate in April elections, announced a "national dialogue" in January, but little progress has been made.

The political deadlock has prompted opposition politicians to symbolically join forces with the armed groups. A broad array of groups signed a unity agreement last week that they hoped would strengthen the negotiating position of the SPLM-N.

But the government warned political leaders would pay a price for tying their fate to the rebels, and arrested two of them days after the deal.

"The government is not serious about the national dialogue and is just buying time for the re-election of a president who is wanted by the International Criminal Court," said Yasir Arman, secretary-general of the SPLM-N, in a reference to the ICC's indictment against Bashir for war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity.

"The regime has no solutions for the two areas except war and starvation," Arman said.

Read more on:    splm-n  |  thabo mbeki  |  omar al-bashir  |  sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.