Sudan denies bombing UN camp in South
Khartoum - Sudan on Monday denied having any links to the bombing of a UN compound in South Sudan, an attack confirmed by the peacekeepers and condemned by the United States.
"Sudan's army didn't have any link with what's going on in Unity state in South Sudan," army spokesperson Sawarmi Khaled Saad was quoted as saying by the official SUNA news agency.
"The army is defending its land after aggression from South Sudanese troops and doesn't take any responsibility for what's going on outside Sudanese territory."
Gideon Gatpan, the information minister in Unity border state, said air raids on Sunday killed 10 civilians, while two bombs fell inside the United Nations camp in Mayom village, destroying a generator and a radio.
Mayom is about 60km west of the state capital Bentiu.
Seven of the civilians were killed in Mayom while three died in villages around Bentiu, he said.
The UN mission spokesperson Kouider Zerrouk confirmed the attack on the peacekeepers' camp but said there were no casualties and it was unlikely the UN was targeted, as the Antonov aircraft used by Sudan are notoriously inaccurate.
"We strongly condemn the bombing by the Sudan armed forces of the UN mission in South Sudan," State Department spokesperson Mark Toner told reporters in Washington.
The State Department earlier condemned US-allied South Sudan for seizing Sudan's oil hub of Heglig.
Troops from the South last week took control of Heglig, which supplied around half of Sudan's oil production, prompting the rare rebuke from the United States.