News24

Sudan denies fighter jet claim

2012-04-04 21:56

Khartoum - Sudan's military on Wednesday denied that one of its jets had been shot down, as its neighbour South Sudan alleged.

"What the media reported, that we lost a fighter plane in the Unity state, we confirm that is completely incorrect," Sawarmi Khaled Saad, the Sudanese army spokesperson, told reporters.

The South accused Khartoum of having ordered an aerial attack on its territory.

"The forces of the Republic of South Sudan were able to shoot down and destroy one MiG-29," South Sudan's lead negotiator Pagan Amum told reporters in Addis Ababa where talks with Sudan on security failed to result in an agreement.

But Saad said in Khartoum that MiG 29s were not used against Unity state, which the South said had been repeatedly bombed from the air since border clashes began 10 days ago.

Sudan's army spokesperson said a Sudanese position in the oil-rich Heglig area on the disputed border had come under attack, "and we reacted to this with artillery bombardment."