Sudan to fight until South withdraws

2012-05-04 22:02

Khartoum - Sudan has stopped fighting inside South Sudan in line with a UN resolution, but will continue battling Southern troops who remain on northern territory, the foreign ministry said on Friday.

"We are not now conducting hostilities inside South Sudan but on our territory we will not halt the fighting until South Sudan's troops withdraw," ministry spokesperson Al-Obeid Meruh told AFP shortly before the 15:00 GMT UN deadline for both sides to cease hostilities.

Both Khartoum and Juba have pledged to seek peace after the UN Security Council passed a resolution on Wednesday giving the two countries 48 hours to stop fighting, including air raids.

"But the other side still has a presence inside our land," army spokesman Sawarmi Khaled Saad said, also shortly before the UN deadline.

He alleged that the Southern army still occupied two points along the border with Darfur, "and this means they haven't stopped hostilities."

Since Southern troops ended their 10-day occupation of Sudan's main oil region of Heglig last month, Sudanese officials have repeatedly stated that South Sudanese "aggression" continues in the form of direct occupation of other disputed areas along the border, and by supporting rebel groups inside Sudan.

Sudan accuses the South of backing anti-government rebels from its conflict-hit western region of Darfur as well as those fighting in South Kordofan state and Blue Nile.

The South denies backing opposition movements inside Sudan, and accuses Khartoum, in turn, of supporting rebels south of the border.

Under Wednesday's UN Security Council Resolution, Sudan and South Sudan are also required to stop supporting insurgents in each other's territory.

Read more on:    sudan  |  south sudan  |  east africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/Sport
 

Road Accident Fund: #Takecharge to make roads safer

Hot on the heels of its Easter meet the #FutureYou campaign, the Road Accident Fund (RAF) will once again take its road safety message to the public - Sponsored.

 

Stay safe

Juvenile pillion riders? Play safe...
First-aid kit: What you need in YOUR car
Hey, lazy! Get outta the disabled bay!
Yaris: Perfect car for back-seat babes
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a danger of going over the top in your enthusiasm to chase your goals. It may be difficult to moderate your urges. There...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.