Teen 'played dead' to survive Kenya mall attack

2013-09-21 23:01
Gallery  |  click on thumbnail to view larger image

Kenya mall attack

Several people have died after gunmen opened fire and lobbed grenades in an upscale shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya. See the pictures here.

Nairobi - Eighteen-year-old Umar Ahmed was enjoying a relaxed Saturday trip to a Nairobi shopping mall when gunmen stormed in and all hell broke loose.

"I was at Westgate Mall rooftop at the parking, and all of sudden I heard screams and gunshots all over the place," Ahmed recounted.

"I got scared. I tried to run down the stairs and saw someone running toward the top, I ran back and hid behind one of the cars," he said from his hospital bed at MP Shah Hospital, where he is nursing burns to his hands and chest.

Ahmed said he found himself on the ground, playing dead. He said he could see one of the gunmen approach and look at him.

"Thankfully he turned back," he said. "After a while, the police came and we were able to be evacuated."

Casualties

According to the hospital manager Manoj Shah, more than 100 casualties were brought to his facility alone following the attack on the Westgate mall, which was claimed by Somalia's al-Qaeda-inspired Shabaab rebels.

"Our bed capacity is full, we cannot accommodate any other person, we need more supplies and we are appealing to our suppliers and well wishers to come in and help," Shah said.

He said that 11 people have been brought in already dead, and that an appeal for blood donors had been made.

The Red Cross confirmed 30 people had died in the attack.

Helicopters buzzed over the shopping complex as the operation to secure the mall stretched into the night, the large centre empty but for elite police units and troops, the attackers and any remaining shoppers.

Earlier, as police went shop to shop evacuating terrified people, a police source confirmed that the attackers were holding at least seven hostages.

As darkness fell over Nairobi, their fate was unclear.

Executions

Another survivor of the attack, who only gave his name as Jay, said he witnessed the gunmen round up shoppers, ask them questions - possibly to find out if they were Muslims - and then execute them.

"They spoke something that seemed like Arabic or Somali," said the man. "I saw people being executed after being asked to say something."

Kenneth Kerich, who was shopping when the attack happened, described scenes of panic.

"I suddenly heard gunshots and saw everyone running around so we lied down. I saw two people who were lying down and bleeding, I think they were hit by bullets," he said after he managed to escape the carnage.

"Initially we thought it is police fighting thugs. But we could not leave until when officers walked in, shot in the air and told us to get out."

Another eyewitness said he saw the body of a child being wheeled out of the mall.

"The gunmen tried to fire at my head but missed. At least 50 people were shot. There are definitely many casualties," mall employee Sudjar Singh said.

"I saw a young boy carried out on a shopping cart, it looked like he was about 5 or 6. It looked like he was gone, he was not moving or making any noise."

British nationals

British nationals are "undoubtedly" caught up in the deadly attack on a Nairobi shopping mall and diplomats are trying to obtain full details of any casualties, Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Saturday.

Hague said the government's emergencies committee Cobra had convened to discuss the attack in the Kenyan capital, and a special diplomatic response team had been sent to beef up the consular staff there.

Hague said Britain condemned the "particularly callous, cowardly and brutal attack", while saying that the claim of responsibility by Somalia's al-Shabaab militant movement had not yet been confirmed.

"There are undoubtedly British nationals caught up in this so we should be ready for that," Hague said in a televised statement following the attack.

"It is a fast moving situation, it is still going on; we don't have sufficiently precise details to say anything more about that at the moment."

He added that the British High Commission staff "are working very hard on this, trying to identify or account for British nationals who may have been caught up in this".
Read more on:    kenya  |  kenya mall attack  |  east africa  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
69 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.