News24

Ten Egyptians killed in Libya

2011-02-21 22:28

Cairo - Ten Egyptians were shot to death in the Libyan city of Tobruk on Monday, near the eastern border, an Egyptian doctor heading to Libya told AFP, citing a witness.

Seif Abdel Latif, a member of the Egyptian doctors's syndicate said he was trying to head to Libya with an aid convoy but Egyptian border guards stopped him from entering Libya.

He said the guards only allowed medical supplies and two doctors into Libya, where violent clashes have resulted in up to 400 deaths according to the Paris-based International Federation for Human Rights (IFHR). Human Rights Watch has cited a death toll of 233.

"We saw a group of Egyptians, who come from the (Nile Delta province of) Sharqiya, escaping Libya on board three buses and they said that 10 Egyptians had been killed by machine-gun fire in Tobruk," he said.

The witness said they were killed by Libyan "armed gangs, mercenaries", the Egyptian doctor said.

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's son, Seif al-Islam appeared on television overnight to warn that the country faced civil war.

"Libya is at a crossroads. If we do not agree today on reforms... rivers of blood will run through Libya," he said in a fiery but rambling speech that betrayed a note of desperation within his father's regime.

"We will take up arms... we will fight to the last bullet. We will destroy seditious elements. If everybody is armed, it is civil war, we will kill each other... Libya is not Egypt, it is not Tunisia."

More than 2 300 Tunisians living in Libya have fled their homes to escape growing unrest the growing unrest, the official Tunisian TAP news agency reported.

It was not immediately clear how many Egyptians live in Libya.